SerenityMovie.net Forum Index SerenityMovie.net
Firefly / Serenity discussion boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serenity on Blu-Ray at last!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SerenityMovie.net Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Serenity on Blu-Ray at last! Reply with quote

Hey, I just noticed on Amazon that "Serenity" will be released on Blu-ray on December 30th. Shiny!

I've been tracking the price of their "Firefly" Blu-ray set, and the price goes up and down almost every day. Now if they'd just get it back down to 50% off again...
Duncan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a post script, "Serenity" Blu-ray just got a plug in the latest issue of TV Guide. (Christmas issue, page 13)
Dave_E

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a Panasonic DMP-BD35 to watch my Serenity Blu-ray I bought a few weeks ago* and have a couple of questions.

1. Can anyone find the “We’ll have Fruity Oaty good time” on the extras menu? It doesn’t show up on my copy and I have tried all the same menu tricks at worked with the DVD and HD DVD versions.
2. Has anyone successfully accessed any on the Blu-ray Live features on the disk? When I put the disk in the player it starts the network services but then keeps failing to connect. I have tried just about every router firewall combination (including turning the firewall off) without any luck. It’s the only Blu-ray Live enabled disk I have so I don’t know if it’s the player or not, but the player did update its firmware via its internet connection.

I’m in the UK and the Panasonic is the UK version – the disk was from Amazon UK but like many of the HD-DVDs and the other two Blu-ray disks I have it have a US copyright warning at the start.

The picture quality is every bit as good as the HD DVD version but it’s sad that HD lost out as it was much faster when navigating the disk menus etc.

* Just like with the HD version I bought the disk as soon as it was available and then set about getting a player Smile – I just hope the format lasts a little longer than HD-DVD. Rolling Eyes
Companion Kate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_E wrote:
When I put the disk in the player it starts the network services but then keeps failing to connect.

Dumb question, but have you told the machine your WPA key (and all those other little connection details that you have to go through when you put any new machine on the LAN)?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was connected via an LAN cable so it’s not on a wireless connection. When I put the disk in it displays a ‘Network Started’ message. But when it starts loading the disk menus I get a ‘Network Failed’ message, and then every few minutes it pops the ‘‘Network Failed’ message – the only way to stop the error message is to re-stat the player with the LAN cable removed.

Unfortunately there is no more information as to why the network failed. I thought one possible reason could be the content may be restricted the US IP addresses only (as with some of the video content on some of the US TV/Film websites). As it’s the only live content enabled Blu-ray I have it makes debugging difficult, other disks which are not ‘Live’ enabled don’t display either the ‘Network Started’ or ‘Network Failed’ message. I know the player can see the network as it is able to check for firmware upgrades and successfully updated itself to the latest firmware.

I guess this is going to make life interesting Rolling Eyes with disk content having to be compatible with the different firmware and Java versions installed on players. That’s why I’d like to know if people with other players can get to the Fruity Oaty bar feature, I could then report it as a bug to Panasonic. The live content and menu navigation on HD-DVDs seems to be much less error prone.

As for the disk content the picture quality is very good, but the up-sampling on the player is so good the quality difference between the Blu-ray and standard DVD is small – you do get a few more extras over the region 2 DVD like the River Tamm sessions, so for around £13 for the disk it was worth it anyway.
Companion Kate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_E wrote:
I know the player can see the network as it is able to check for firmware upgrades and successfully updated itself to the latest firmware.

and
Dave_E wrote:
When I put the disk in it displays a ‘Network Started’ message. But when it starts loading the disk menus I get a ‘Network Failed’ message

Interesting. Sounds to me like you have grounds for complaint to the disc manufacturer (...which I guess would be Universal Studios?)

Dave_E wrote:
I thought one possible reason could be the content may be restricted the US IP addresses only

Yes, you could be right, but even so, the software on the disc should give you a better error message, so I'd say you still have grounds for complaint.

And thanks for the warning! Smile

I have to say, I don't like the idea of my DVD player phoning home. That just gives me the creeps!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent Universal Pictures (UK) an email – if I get a response I will report back.
ironbandit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a shiny review of the Blu-Ray BDS and BDM on the Signal? Side by side comparo with the Red-gular versions?
Lemming

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironbandit wrote:
How about a shiny review of the Blu-Ray BDS and BDM on the Signal? Side by side comparo with the Red-gular versions?

Not psychic are you Eric? Smile

They're coming Smile

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_E wrote:
Just sent Universal Pictures (UK) an email – if I get a response I will report back.

I'll look forward to hearing what you find out. I'm in almost the same situation as you (got the disks, and was just about to get the same player). The disks are region 0, so US/UK issues should not be a problem; though it appears you have discovered that Live features are different. The reviews I've read so far say the BD picture quality is not much better than HD but the sound is.
Dave_E

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ningjingde ren wrote:
The disks are region 0, so US/UK issues should not be a problem; though it appears you have discovered that Live features are different.

The UK/US issue over the Blu-ray live was only a guess on my part, that’s why I was hoping for some feedback from anyone else who had tried it.

One part of the Blu-ray Live does work – the My Scenes where you can bookmark favourite scenes (but you do need an SD card in the player)

To anyone thinking of getting a Panasonic DMP-BD35 it certainly lives up to its rave reviews.

I still prefer HD-DVD for it faster menu loading and better navigation but like the VHS – BetaMax war the best format does not always win Rolling Eyes …. Maybe it’s a Browncoat thing –supporting lost causes and underdogs. Wink
Dave_E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Fruity Oaty Easter Egg Reply with quote

Laughing Finally found it – after much searching on the net and endless button pressing on the remote.
1. Go to the Extras menu.
2. Select Extended Scenes.
3. Scroll down to the last item (Mal and Inara in the shuttle) and press the down key again on the remote.
4. The Serenity logo should appear below the last item – select it and enjoy the fruity oaty goodness. Cool

The odd thing is although its an Easter Egg it is listed on the disk case – many of the reviews don’t even mention it and most say there are no Easter Eggs on the disk – all very confusing. Confused

As for the Blu-ray Live on line stuff according to the reviews it only accesses the Universal portal – so probably just movie trailers. Rolling Eyes

The digital tour of Serenity in the U-Control menu does actually work (some reviews say it doesn’t) but to get it to work I had to delete the small file that downloads when the disk is first used – if the player is connected to the net and has a SD card. You are given the option of declining the download (I didn’t) – but I has seen some reviews state that there is a problem with the file which stops some of the advanced features working correctly, like the Alliance Database. I had to go to the SD card management menu on the player setup and delete the ‘Saved BD-Video’. All a bit of a mess

I haven’t had chance to retry the web enabled stuff since deleting the file, but there is one more thing I need to investigate. The BD35 player has a DivX licence code on the setup menu and a web address for more details – maybe you have to register online before some of the web enabled features will work.
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_E wrote:
To anyone thinking of getting a Panasonic DMP-BD35 it certainly lives up to its rave reviews.

Here in the States, the BD35 was taken out of circulation a few weeks ago, and their newer BD55 shot up in price by hundreds of dollars. A lot of us folks who had ordered a 55 (and then had the order cancelled by the vendor) are now waiting for the BD80 which comes out in March or April. It has more audio functionality than the 35, and the ability to connect to Video On Demand from Amazon.

If any of that interests you, you might want to wait for the BD80.
Dave_E

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s fairly typical of my luck – just as I finally decide to buy a new model comes out. Rolling Eyes
I shouldn’t complain though at £168 it was a bargain and does everything I need for the moment. Also it could be some time before the BD80 is available in the UK and with the way the pound is I expect they could be much more expensive.
ningjingde ren

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by a reputable dealer that I wouldn't need to spend the extra on a BD55 because the amp I was planning to get (Yamaha DSP-AX763) could decode all the audio codecs that the BD35 couldn't. So your choice of player needs to take account of what the rest of your set-up can do.
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed absolutely. I have an older amp without all the fancy HDMI stuff, so I need the 55 or something like it.

And I'm still attracted to the Internet functionality of the post-35 models.
ironbandit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found "Serenity" in Blu-Ray at BJ's Wholesale Club today. Less than $20 too. If it is the Blu-Ray selections at a place like that, it bodes well for the visibility of the BDM and our BDH's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SerenityMovie.net Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: